1. How it works ?
As stated in above link under Launch Your App on Devices Using Free Provisioning point 6. “Xcode creates a free provisioning profile for you”
Update: Above point 6 is removed from link, but there is no change in the way it works and steps in above link still work!
Profile created in this way is tied to your apple id, when you try to run app on new device that device’s UDID gets added in this profile.
2. How to use free provisioning?
Requirements: Apple ID, XCode 7
- Go to XCode Preference
- Go to Accounts tab and hit plus “+” button on bottom left to add your Apple ID.
- After successfully adding Apple ID click on view details on bottom right
- Click the Create button next to “iOS Development”
- Connect your device and select your device as build destination.
- In target’s general setting, set team id as your apple id, set team id as your apple id, set team id as your apple id. Hit fix Issue button below provisioning profile warning
- Run the app, this will install app.
- Click app icon to start app manually, you will get “Untrusted Developer” dialog. To trust your apple id, Go to iPhone setting > General > Device Management > Select your apple id and click trust.
- After step 8 you can run and debug app using free provisioning.
3. What are the Limitations?
I tried to install app with free provisioning and could run/debug app. But there are few catches. Profile created by XCode7 is bit different than our usual developer profiles
From profile raw file
- There is new key `LocalProvision` with value `true`
Many services like following are not available, See full list of services
Apple Pay, Game Center, iCloud, In-App Purchasing, Push Notifications, Wallet (Was Passbook)
2. Expires in 3 months.
3. Under `<key>ProvisionedDevices</key>` there is list of devices on which I tried to install app, still unknown maximum number of devices possible, I tried to install on 3 devices which worked successfully.
4. This is not alternative to publishing app for free on app store, you still need to enroll to developer program to publish apps.
5. Testflight based internal / External testing is not possible.